Friday, August 26, 2011

Tuscaloosa, AL - Hampton Inn Tuscaloosa - East


I am such a positive person that I hate to say anything negative about a hotel property so I have waited almost two weeks before posting my opinion on this hotel. I thought maybe I wouldn't post anything at all and act like I have never stayed in this hotel but that doesn't really seem fair to all of the hotels and businesses that go out of their way to make my stay a pleasant experience.

I arrived to the hotel late at night after a long drive. I was surprised to see a line of people waiting to check in to the hotel. There seemed to be only the one girl on duty and she was doing her best to work her way through the line of people waiting. Once it was my turn at the desk my check in was quick and painless. She verified my check out date and I was quickly on my way with key card in hand.

As soon as I entered my room I was assaulted with the strong smell of cigarette smoke. It literally smelled as if someone had just been smoking in the room. I opened the door to check and see if the sign by the door said this was a 'non smoking' room and I was surprised to see that this room was indeed designated as a non smoking room. I thought I had been given a smoking room by mistake. Eyes watering and nose running I went back down to the front desk and I stood in line again. I explained the problem about the smoky smelling room and asked if I could have a different room. The desk clerk was very nice as she searched for several minutes to find another room for me while she explained that the hotel was 'very full.' She did eventually locate a different room for me and she gave me new keycards and now again I was on my way to my room.

The second room had a totally different aroma. This room smelled like a dirty baby diaper - a poopy one. The smell seemed to originate from the carpet. I stood just inside the door way for a few minutes trying to decide what to do. It was after 1 am and I had an 8 am meeting so I did not relish another trip to the lobby and another wait in line to see if I could get yet another room and I was wondering if there was even another room to be had. I checked the window and thank goodness the window did open a little so I opened the window as far as it would go and I turned the air up all the way and I went to bed. I was praying that my clothing and luggage would not pick up the smell of the room. I will say that by the time I returned to my room the next afternoon most of the dirty diaper smell had dissipated and the room just had a general stale smell.

The breakfast bar had the usual assortment offered by Hampton Inns. There was plenty of seating and the lady running the breakfast bar was actively cleaning tables and replenishing the food.

This hotel seems to be ageing and it is in need of some deep cleaning and/or replacing of carpets, drapes and other items that can hold smells. It isn't a bad hotel and I have stayed at this hotel many times in the past and it seemed fine. I had not been to this hotel in two years and the cleanliness seems to have suffered. I have always felt safe at this hotel and the desk clerks and other employees are helpful and smiling. The pool is in a weird place - it is just a small pool in a fence in front of the hotel and cars park right around the edge of the pool outside the fence. The pool seems like an extension of the parking lot almost like an afterthought to the hotel.

I am not sure if I will stay here again and I am hesitant to recommend this hotel to anyone. I have definitely stayed in hotels that were much worse and on the same note I have stayed in hotels that were much much better.

Hampton Inn Tuscaloosa-East
6400 Interstate Drive
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA 35453
Tel: 1-205-562-9000 Fax: 1-205-562-9859

No comments: